I haven’t forgotten about the Hidden Wells quilt for the daybed; I was just gathering steam (for several months) to work on basting it. The back, fill, and pieced top all need to be held together so that I can quilt them.
Last night finally seemed like the time, so I started. I only got about half way, though, before running out of safety pins.
Frustrating! (Though the work I did was sufficient to create a semipermanent safety pin-shaped groove in the tip of my index finger from all the closing.)
The pins are slightly unusual and bent at a 30° angle so that they hold the layers without stretching them. Here’s a closeup of them in place:
I’ll have to go buy another set or two so I can finish up.