Kevin’s been doing such a great job keeping things running, taking care of errands, and ferrying food and beverages to the nursing chair. He’s also been in documenting mode:
It’s so wonderful to me to watch the two of them together, and to suddenly see Kevin stepping into his role as a father.
Other big milestones today included his first bath in the kitchen sink, and first haircut (just around the ears and back of the head). I was expecting outrage, but he was actually exceptionally calm through both and didn’t start crying until after it was over. Definitely helps that the kitchen window is so warm and there are all sorts of interesting things (bars, sky) to look at!
All 7 lbs, 14 oz of him, after a short, drug-free (4:48) labour that I’m getting more and more fond of with several days to mull it over. :-)
I’ll be password-protecting most of the baby posts, so leave a comment if you’re friends & family and haven’t received the password yet. (Sorry to internet friends, but we’re limiting the password posts to people we know in real life.) Also, Kevin’s started a photo blog here.
In the background, you can see the curtains I made for the baby’s room last night. I reused the fabric from the curtains that I made for Kevin’s office, removed the blue border, and added a new border that matches the crib bumper and ruffle that I’m making. Here’s a too-bright, rather green partial view – I’ll get a better shot once the rain and clouds clear up a bit.
Yesterday was my due date, and still no baby though I’ve been having lots of contractions (I’ve been having Braxton Hicks for weeks, but now there are sporadic real ones in the mix, too, even if they don’t seem to be going anywhere). However, I did manage to finish up another baby hat, this time with the remnants from the owl vest.
Once again, I used a CSA melon as the model. The was just an ad hoc knit – I cast on 80 st, went 2×2 ribbing for an inch, knit in the round until 4”, and then divided into eight sections of 10 stitches and just kept decreasing at the beginning of each section with a SSK until I had four stitches left, and then pulled the tail through those.
I’m a little bit concerned that it will be too short, but I ran out of yarn – I had about 12” of the blue left and about 18” of the brown. Relaxed, the hat is 16” around and 5½” tall.
On the whole, we’ve been doing a great job keeping up with our CSA veggies this year, but the summer squash situation is suddenly getting dire.
I had to laugh at this site – seems like about our attitude at this point. I actually love summer squash, but I get a mental block about eating it when there’s too much of it. We should probably come up with some sort of strategy, though, since I’m sure there will be plenty more in Wednesday’s bag.